Sunday 25 June 2023

Three sources for clay creation

Yesterday was a wonderful opportunity to celebrate 17 years with clay at Kim Sacks Gallery Makers Space in Rosebank, Johannesburg. There was a wonderful light in the space and it was filled with lovely people, for all of which I am truly grateful. 


When the opportunity came for a walkabout to share some of my learning from those 17 years, I acknowledged three primary sources for what I've created. In some way, it's about me, the clay and something beyond us both.

The potter's intention

For me, this began with simply enjoying playing in the mud. I was also drawn to find a place of grounding, calm and deep breaths. When I started with Kim Sacks School of Ceramics in the night classes, I was relatively wound up by my then day job as the CEO of high-tech services company Praxis Computing. 

And the cruder form of the potter's will shows in some of my early creations. There is lots of pushing and shoving and prodding to get something to happen. Over time, this has become far more sophisticated as my heart, soul and hands align to create the subtleties of pleasing and practical forms.

And I began to realise I could partner better with the second source of creation: the clay.

What the clay wants

This clay, that has been primordial earth for thousands or perhaps even millions of years, comes with its own wisdom. It is striking at first how malleable it is. But with more experience and more listening to the clay, I found it has fairly strong desires of its own. With a bit more skill and grace, the hands of the potter can allow this form to emerge in partnership with the clay.

I also recognise that what happens in the studio is but a brief moment in the life of the clay. And as my own hands get more sensitive I feel the desire of the clay emerging. Yet there is more beyond both me and the clay.

What is wanting to emerge - beyond both potter and clay

Now I can perceive more clearly that the two of us, potter and clay, are merely midwives and midhusbands to what really wants to emerge. And the vessels that grow under my hands have their own life, their own character and their own direction.

24 June 2023: Deep Breaths Exhibition

At yesterday's exhibition it was wonderful to have so many of my pieces chosen by our friends and guests, to bring beauty into their homes and their lives. And to acknowledge that the space in which we work, and the people who work with us in the studio are also hugely important in the substance and form of what emerges. 

The environment and the people matter a lot, and I acknowledge Kim Sacks for the masterful way she curates the space and attracts fine people.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment