Friday 26 November 2021

How the character of jugs emerges

 I am constantly amazed and enthralled by the way the nature and character of a jug emerges during its process of creation. I mean, take a look at these vessels that I have just thrown:

6 Jugs in the first phase of emerging

I don't know about you, but I think they are rather gawky. If they have a character it feels a bit dowdy almost?

And then:
  • Trim the bases
  • Cut the spout in a single plane
  • Add a handle
And I am amazed by the characters that emerge!
The same 6 jugs a week later

These are the very same six vessels in the same order, a week later. I feel like each one has its own unique character. The ones that looked most gawky now have a nonchalance and pride in their difference, don't you think?

Of course there is still more to do in their baptism of fire that follows.....



No comments:

Post a Comment